[thelist] open source development network

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Mon Aug 21 23:54:10 CDT 2000

Isaac Forman wrote:

> > > Just wondered what people might think, or if you had opinions
> > > or if that
> > > would be a bad idea or what :)
>
> incidentally, this is not being discussed at all on the admin list (which is
> currently preoccupied with discussion about weddings (3 or so admins are
> planning weddings) and bitching about clients :p).

Yes. Conrats go out to some founding evolt members. Javier and Walker
are both getting hitched within the month. Cheers!

> i think it is a very telling sign that dan is able to ask the community as a
> whole for thoughts, rather than restrict all decisions to admin. and also get
> quality responses, considering all aspects, in return.

Thanks iSac :) I just really think that these big decisions aren't mine
to make. Nor are they the admin groups. They should be the
concencous(the spelling tyrade continues :) of the community at large.
And I know a lot of 'community' sites say that, but they're all full of
shit. Pardon my french(as Ferris Buehler would say) but they are for the
most part. We're not :)

> i think that evolt has become what we (founding members) had hoped it would
> become, and i am proud (awwww...) everytime a non-admin submits a great article,
> or a non-admin reminds people to trim their posts, not post attachments, change
> subject lines, etc (all the picky things that help to keep evolt lean and
> kickarse).

+3.14^10

Now that we're finished getting all sentimental here ;)

<tip type="SQL">
Might sound stupid, but index your tables. I just indexed some of
thelist tables in the database and found a *HUGE* increase in speed at
which CF could grad the info. What used to be a 1200ms query is now cut
to 4ms after an index of the table.
</tip>

.djc.