[thelist] ASP question

William Anderson wpanderson at wsatkins.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 06:59:00 CDT 2000

If using Apache, the docs for access control by means of .htaccess are

If using IIS 3.0, you can't do this IIRC.

If using IIS 4.0, use the MMC, and select the properties of the host,
directory or virtual directory you want to deal with, select the custom
error tab, and you can modify the location of the HTML templates used to
generate error msgs, or using the location shown, you can drill into the
files themselves as installed and modify them (i'd recommend using your own
files and pointing to them).  By default, error msg templates are stored in
C:\WINNT\help\common with the file name nnn.htm (where nnn is the error).
Where IIS has variants of an error, such as 401; 3, then file is nnn-x.htm -
e.g., 401-3.htm

good to see that my 89% pass on the IIS 4 exam wasn't put to waste ;)

cheers'en

--
William Anderson, WS Atkins IT Scotland, Glasgow
E-mail: wpanderson at wsatkins.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0)141 332 7030 x2216 - Fax: +44 (0)141 331 2481