[thelist] CSS for tables..

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Aug 23 10:15:48 CDT 2000

It does tell you in the spec what styles work for what elements.  I
really recommend familiarizing yourself with the spec, if only
because what works/doesn't work in browsers doesn't necessarily have
anything to do with what is SUPPOSED to work or what might work in
other browsers, and/or in the future.

um.

cellpadding/cellspacing: I still do it the old fashioned way (table
attribute).  Netscape doesn't do well with CSS padding.  Width: I do
that also as a table attribute.

Font?  try setting a class and see how it works.  you can define
fonts in the body, in paragraphs, in td's... I tend NOT to apply
styles to tables (as opposed to other elements).  I don't know if
it's technically allowed, but I think I've had better luck applying
styles to <P>s <body>, etc.

Inheritance doesn't always work right in the browsers.

it's trial & error, baby.

(or you could look at one of those CSS support charts if you're so
inclined...url?)

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com