[thelist] HTML test (tip)

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Wed Aug 23 12:58:34 CDT 2000

><tip type="HTML test" author="erika">
>
>- When you apply for a job, and they ask you to take an HTML test...
>
>1. you might ask yourself why they can't determine your HTML
>proficiency based on your portfolio and/or and interview and/or
>reference checks.

We can. But we don't always know who else worked with you on the work
in your portfolio or how you did it. We can look on an HTML test
developed in-house and see more of how you work and what you can do
in our controlled conditions.

>2.  work quickly. don't worry if it's not pretty. chances are they
>don't care (or won't notice) if your attributes are quoted or your
>TD's closed.

Bad HTML = no job, at least here. We NEED you to know about proper
HTML, CSS, and that sort of stuff. If you don't know it, you can't do
the quality work we expect. At least here, do the test _well_, not
quickly.

>3. spec?  what's a spec?
If you're talking about HTML spec -- 3.2 is good, 4.0.x is better.

>4. if you think they care about your design skills, think again.
Sure we do, if we're hiring you as a designer. We still care even if
you're being hired for HTML prowess, it's just not as
important/necessary.

>5.  You are a circus dog.  The HTML test is a hoop.  How high can you jump?
The HTML test we administer is a test of basic skills we feel are
necessary for successful developers. It also helps us understand a
little bit about mindset and working processes. It tells us how the
prospective employee does things differently (and we like innovative
new ways of doing things).

--
icongarden.com
Making good ideas grow || http://icongarden.com/