[thelist] Bulletin Board

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Wed Aug 23 13:09:58 CDT 2000

Threaded discussions are a usability nightmare. Usually you get one
message on one page and that means that a) threads tend to wander
because the messages aren't contiguous and therefore topic drift is
not as obvious; b) you have to click through 20 pages for 20
messages; c) you can't refer to a previous message without going back
to the list and finding the message, as opposed to scrolling up the
page.

Flat boards such as the UBB tend to support single-minded threads,
which I like to call 'conversations' that usually stay on topic. This
generally avoids whole threads where the topic says "Horse Breeding"
and the people are talking about Barbie dolls.

Unless you're trying to up that hit count for your advertisers
drastically, go with flat. FLat boards tend to be faster, more on
topic, and easier to navigate (fewer levels of navigation).

--
icongarden.com
Making good ideas grow || http://icongarden.com/