[thelist] Sizing pop-up windows

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 23 23:34:08 CDT 2000

> From: Jeff
>
> : Is there a way to set a pop-up window to be a specific
> : width horizontally but take up the entire available screen
> : area vertically? (Like the concept of setting a fixed width
> : with a 100% height setting)
>
> the short answer is yes, but.
>
> lemme explain why . . .

wow... i don't think i could have been any more thorough with a week's research time...

but to bolster jeff's point(s):
  Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I
  http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2295
  Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part II
  http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2297

i mention these because you can download the logs i made tracking users' screen res and
window sizes, as well as see the JS i used to get the values...

the numbers alone may prove useful... after all, at what point is 100% of the height or width so
much that your design is way too small... or so little that your design doesn't fit?

and jeff, why not add your commentary to my article as a comment so that people are aware
of the caveats to my methodology for capturing that data... your comments are too useful to
keep just here...