[thelist] Spreading sites between different hosts

Peter Small peter at genps.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 08:52:24 CDT 2000

Thanks Anthony for your response.

The implications of this are very interesting. If I may, I'd like to extend
this thought to the components of a Web page.

(1)
Ignoring the different speeds of response between different servers through
traffic etc,would there be a time penalty if a page were designed to have
ten gifs with each of the gifs located on a different servers (i.e. ten
gifs and eleven servers)?

(2)
Would there be a time penalty if items included in a Web page were accessed
from several different databases on different servers from that holding the
Web page (assuming all the databases were equally fast)

(3) If a cgi script updated the visitor counter on a Web page, would there
be a time penalty if that cgi script was on another server?

Note: different servers means servers at widely separated locations.

peter
http://www.avatarnets.com