[thelist] breaking into the web design caper

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Fri Aug 25 19:22:03 CDT 2000

Hey all,

I've been coding in HTML for only around a year, but I'm
starting to kid myself that I have half-way decent skills. I've
learned basic Javascript and some stylesheets stuff, but Cold Fusion,
asp, perl, Java, etc, are mysteries to me right now. Hopefully that
won't be the case for too much longer, I plan to try and learn the
basics of this these, too, but I know these are longer roads, so to
speak.

I want eventually to get work as a designer/coder, but I still have
a lot to learn. This is where I hope you all come in. I hoped some of
you could point me towards some sites which will tell me more about
the industry itself. Specifically;

  sites which give general information on which skills or
  combination of skills would put me where in the web design industry.
  Like which skills are considered 'core' or basic entry
  requirements,   and which skills will place me at the  say for
  example, the 'low' end of the spectrum, and what I'd need to work
  at   the 'top' end. What people hiring web designers expect.....

You'll probably say, 'well, you've gotta decide what it is you
want to do', but I'd like to get an overview of the whole caper,
and then try and decide from there.

OK. Any links, appreciated.

cheers,

Duncan O'Neill