[thelist] Help w/ moving domain

.redstar. redstar at clix.pt
Mon Aug 28 16:32:59 CDT 2000

Donna,

"...When I called the old people they said I should leave the tech name as
theirs because that would be the only way someone could tell who the
Registrar was. ..."

Not true.  No association exists between the tech contact and the Registrar.
The tech contact, as the name implies is who should be contacted to resolve
technical issues related with the IP and or the data in the primary name
server. You might want to tell these guys that if they want be listed as
tech contact then they should sign a statement to the effect that they will
solve any issues in a timely manner at no cost for you. I think this will
make them change their stance.

"...My new hosts are saying they MUST be listed as Tech. ..."

Also not true. They might WANT to be listed as tech contact and it is to a
certain degree acceptable but it is not necessary. They might tell you that
if they are not tech contact they might have problems solving tech issues in
a timely manner.

"...The old people said the new ISP just "wanted control over the domain
name" and that it didn't matter technically who was listed...."

First part is misconception second part is not really true.

Hope this helps.

.redstar.