[thelist] resumes and NDAs

Sean German sean at apartmentaccess.com
Thu Aug 31 15:43:02 CDT 2000

Howdy eVoltrons,

I'm updating my resume after 2 1/2 years at an e-comm start up.  (At what
point does/should a company stop being a start up?  Am I alone in thinking
that after 3 years, things should be pretty much started by now?)

Of course I've consulted the resume dos and don'ts on theSite
(http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&catid=23&cid=1818) and followed the
thread on HTML-format resumes, so I know it's good to detail specific
accomplishments.  But how specific can I get when it's possible my resume
will be seen by potential partners and competitors?

I'd like to include things along the lines of 'implemented new features that
led to 100% growth in web site transactions over a three month period' or
'played major roll in expansion of web site from 50 page views/day to
1,000,000 page views/day.'  How much can I say?  Right now my feeling is
stick to ratios--web traffic increased 500%, membership doubled, number of
secure transactions averaged 20% growth each month--and avoid specific
figures.

The twist is I haven't signed a NDA or non-compete.  Does that free me of
all possible liability in terms of any information I might disclose?  I am
in the good ole US of A, so I suppose I could be sued for just about
anything.

But, aside any legal issues, I'm not looking to burn any bridges and
wouldn't want anything on my resume that a potential employer might consider
rude.  I certainly wouldn't want to raise concern about my ability to keep a
secret because I blabbed sensitive information about a former employer all
over my resume.

How have you dealt with such issues?  Have you received any guidance in this
area from headhunters or HR folks?

Thanks you your input.

Sean G.