[thelist] Linux Simple Installation Wanted

mr dave squalid at libertysurf.co.uk
Sat Sep 2 17:31:07 CDT 2000

Jorah uttered the following words:
> the least-painful way of getting started with Linux.  Should I go with a
> shrink-wrapped package, one of the cheap disk distributions I know are
> available online, or a download?  Any good sites with hints and >hand-holding?

and Mr Dave replies:

I can recommend Red Hat Linux 6.2 - it is amazing, its very very easy to
set up and also to add peripherals to. There are three (that I know of)
versions, Standard, Professional, and Deluxe.

One thing to note, but of which you are I'm sure already aware, if you
want to use the internet in Linux you need a modem which is not a
Winmodem. A list of compatible modems is available from
http://www.linux.com and I would try linux.org for a very good start
guide.

If you live in the UK, there is an excellent magazine called Linux
Format for £4.99 every...month? I think so.

Good Luck!

dotMrDave