[thelist] How to control TEXTAREA font size, etc...?

Simon sentient at mail.com
Sun Sep 10 15:54:47 CDT 2000

A good Sunday to all,

I have some pages to put online where there will be
a textarea field which has html code that someone can
copy for their site. I'd like to be able to control how the
 textarea contents is formatted, mostly so the size of
the textarea field is about the same on the most
popular browsers.

I've used this CSS snippet in the document HEAD as follows...

textarea {
  font-size: 9px;
  text-align: left;
  color: black;
  font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
}
--></style>

That works fine in IE5 but in Netscape 4.7 it seems to have no effect whatsoever.

I've also tried making textarea a class like this...

.textarea {
  font-size: 9px;
  text-align: left;
  color: black;
  font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
}
--></style>

and then using...

<textarea name="txt" rows=10 cols=85 readonly
  class=textarea>

Also tried....

<textarea name="txt" rows=10 cols=85 readonly
  style="font-size:9px;   font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">

Nothing seems to have any effect on Netscape.

Any hints or pointers appreciated,

Simon

--

"A man said to the universe, 'Sir, I exist.'
'However,' replied the universe, 'the fact

Sentient Technologies - mailto:sentient at mail.com