[thelist] A-Level computing help

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Tue Sep 12 17:33:34 CDT 2000

Interesting little piece of knowledge for your next cocktail party:

SQL as we've come to know it actually comes from the term SEQUEL which
stood for Structured English QUEry Language. The term SEQUEL was coined
in the early 80's by the System R group at IBM who worked on one of the
first relational database management systems.

They later learned that SEQUEL was the registered trademark of a British
aircraft company, so they changed to acronym to SQL, and its stuck to
this very day..

Can be pronounced 'sequel' or 'ess-cue-ell'

anyways, some useless triva to impress that hotty DBA at your next
cocktail party :)

.djc.