[thelist] Domain name ownership

George Donnelly gsd at mac.com
Wed Sep 13 08:02:52 CDT 2000

First of all, you should register the name with a registrar that recognizes
your right to **real** ownership of the domain, as opposed to NSI's
contention that you are "just renting" it. :-(

eg. http://www.gandi.net/

then when you actually create the name make sure that you specify the owner
as, at the very least, the administrative contact person as this is the one
who controls the domain.

for the tech contact person you can specify the ISP/host.

you can check this by doing whois lookup. eg here

http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois

Regards,
GEORGE DONNELLY
george at cyklotron.com
http://cyklotron.com/
The man who refuses to judge, who neither agrees nor disagrees, who declares
that there are no absolutes and believes that he escapes responsibility, is
the man responsible for all the blood that is now spilled in the world.
--Ayn Rand