[thelist] Tables vs Layers

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Sep 14 19:32:12 CDT 2000

I agree totally with Steve.

But, in my opinion *the* most irritating thing about <div>s as a
replacement for tables is their lack of support for proportional
layout. By the time you add all the javascript (and branches for
differing browser support) to calculate div widths and placements so
that you can emulate a simple <td width="66%"> you have a thumping
great code overhead that'll bring your average pentium to its
trembling knees.

I don't at all dispute that css-p is useful for dynamic content, or
that it's easier to interpret and update. But it's definitely not the
user-interface designer's dream it's promoted as.

Andrew
Pander