[thelist] .lasso

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Fri Sep 15 21:39:24 CDT 2000

Ah. There was a deeper question.

First of all, congratulations on the job. Are you going to be doing server
admin or design? Or both?

Now for the advice (it's Friday and I'm bored):

Somebody there has done some decent work setting up the web server and
programming some functionality with Lasso. For a site that was built with
Adobe PageMill 2.0, it looks pretty good.

It's a Mac running WebSTAR, Lasso, FileMaker, and NetCloak. That's my
current set up and as I've stated over and over again on this list, it don't
rock my world. (I'm moving to W2K, blah blah blah. It's taking longer than I
had hoped it would, but don't worry about me. I'll be okay. ;))

It looks like they're using Lasso and FileMaker pretty much the way I do;
some basic news databases and maybe a little other stuff. It's not hard to
maintain, and it looks like they did a decent job of it.

I can't tell was version of WebSTAR they're running, or what version of the
MacOS (using Netcraft), so that makes me think it might be an older version.
Starnine (now 4D) has gotten pretty anal about how their presence gets sent
back to Netcraft with recent versions, so I'm guessing it's prolly 3.x.

I found the WebSTAR, Lasso, and NetCloak lists all incredibly helpful when I
took this job. It looks like UP is using NetCloak and it's sister product,
Phantom, mostly for search (which is good, because the WebSTAR search
plug-in BITES in a super-hard way), and probably some forms handling. The
NetCloak folks are TREmendously helpful (there's only a few of them.)

Holler if you have specific questions.

Dave