[thelist] Tables vs Layers

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Fri Sep 15 22:56:50 CDT 2000

>so?
>
>[see the archives for my continuing diatribes about coding to the
>XHTML spec when nothing out there supports it beyond its HTML4-
>ness, when you could just as easily code to the HTML4 spec
>instead (discounting those who are using an XML parser on the
>back-end)]

Can I ask ONE teeny tiny little question?

Why are you SO against XHTML? If you don't want to use it or don't
see any benefit, don't use it. But we don't need to rehash this
thread everytime the word XHTML is mentioned.

In the case of the above post, it's the opportunity of the person
coding the page or setting those standards to decide. As long as
they're not deciding for you, you don't really have a concern here.
If you want to, say, suggest HTML 4.x as a target because you think
XHTML is a splinter language and don't want to have to deal with the
splinter, then say so. (I don't know if that's the case :))

Some people see benefits to XHTML; you and some others don't. That's
fine. Enough with the 'continuing diatribes' already :)

For anyone new here, there were reasons stated, such as the fact that
XHTML is stricter than 4.0 and is also inherently well-formed if you
do it correctly, or that it is an XML spec, etc. You can find it  by
searching the archives.

So unless we're going to move forward on this debate, can we let it go?

Jake
--
icongarden.com
Making good ideas grow || http://icongarden.com/