[thelist] RE: servers (was .lasso)

Andrew I. Jones aijones at northcoast.com
Mon Sep 18 09:37:57 CDT 2000

> 1. security issues? Any server can be compromised if isn't
> properly secured, if all of the proper measures are taken NT is
> plenty safe. and 2. server includes? Yes you can.

  The thing to find out, though, is whether NT can be
configured to handle SSI Extended Directives. They're
available in Apache, but I've never seen them elsewhere. They
let you do all sorts of nifty things, like IF/ELSE functions and
passing variables between pages.

  If you're coding by hand, they're great for making
comprehensive header and footer inserts because you can
pass customized info (page title, etc.) from the parent
document to the header file, instead of breaking the header
into two files or limiting your use of a single header file.