[thelist] OT: AutoCAD to Vector Image ??

Jason Elliot Burk jasonb at halstead-architects.com
Mon Sep 18 11:39:10 CDT 2000

> Anyone know of a way to export an AutoCAD file into a format useable by
> Illustrator?

with current standard software, exporting from autoCAD is a rather difficult
task...i've tried a million times to get a clean vector image from autocad
into PageMaker, Illustrator, Corel Draw and even Photoshop.  it does export to
*.dxf (a drawing file format for other CAD programs), *.wmf (window's
metafile), *.eps and a number of others, but i have never to this day found a
file format that maintains the line segments in a format that allows for
manipulation in another program.

what we do in my office is export as a *.dxf and open it in Corel Draw (i hate
CD too, but that's what we have).  Once it's there if you want to alter
specific paths, you pretty much have to redraw them.  the old copy / paste
standard sometimes works, but it just depends.

i mostly use autoCAD release 14, so i'm not sure if they've added new features
into the AC2000 version...either way, if you find the magical touch, please,
please, please let me know.

jason
j a s o n  e . b u r k
http://www.bsu.edu/World2000/research/burk/