[thelist] Site Review Please

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 15:31:21 CDT 2000

> From:Jodi Short <weboriginals at yahoo.com>
>
> Rudy, thanks for your comments and for clarify
> aardvarks comments.  Okay I understand what I have to

odd how my comments always benefit from someone else
explaining them... makes me wonder if i'm not clear enough... nah,
i'm fine... heh...

> do but what do you do when the client specifies the
> site to be like this - especially the background logo
> on all pages, framed pages with different nav bar.

you tell the client that's not a good idea (and here's why ...)... then
if they don't back down, you do what i do, document that they are
going against your recommendation, and then build it anyway...

> Yes I do have permission on the framesets.  I can make
> certain changes and maybe make suggestions but a whole
> committee of people decided on what exactly they
> wanted.

committees are notoriously inept... you can tell 'em i said that,
too... i know that doesn't help, but "design by committee" is a well-
known euphemism for "crap"... at least around here...

> --- Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca wrote:
> >
> > when aardvark says "i think the code is pretty
> > awful, but that's a
> > function of the editor you've chosen..." he means
> > that in the nicest way,
> > of course, and no reflection on you

this is correct... any WYSIWYG editor you choose is probably
going to output stuff that'll make me cringe, and make a validator
spit DOMs out its fan... or, as rudy say, WYGIWYD (what you get
is what you deserve - has to be the best thing that man has said in
the last two weeks)...

> > when i opened a couple more pages, somehow i got
> > several windows open, i
> > think it was the <BASE TARGET="main"> tag that's on

i figured it was an inline 'target'... dinna even bother looking...

> > and when aardvark says "ok, back to work... my 5
> > mins are up..." you just
> > gotta know he's kidding, it took him longer than
> > that just to look at the
> > site, never mind write the reply

yeah, but it's the nicest way i can think of to say, "i'd have a lot
more to say, but i really wanna eat this potato," because i don't
want to imply:
a) it's such a bad site i could go on for days, or
b) i don't care about the site, i just want a potato...

i need a hug.