[thelist] Could someone take time to review my site?

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 19 09:51:42 CDT 2000

> gees. i just can't seem to write a *short* response to shit.

that's what makes you so wonderful, dear! :-)

> Rather than put a bunch of resource into broadening your -market
> reach- with
> *this* site, I suggest broadening your site's appeal. It's a little closer
> to home, probably easier and cheaper to control.

Couldn't agree more! I've seen so many web dev sites out there that try to
use every last hip term they can squeeze out of the current e-speak
dictionary. But what these sites sometimes fail to do is to SHOW the user
(a.k.a. prospective client) exactly what their abilities are. As we all
know, the web is an inherently visual medium. When sites really started
popping up en masse, the emphasis was mostly graphical...give the user
something pretty to look at. There were beveled, drop-shadowed, 3D, spinning
doohickeys everywhere. Nowadays, sure, people want to see a nice looking
site, but their main goal is to get the information they're looking for and
get the hell out!

Paragraphs of e-speak tend to keep users from the one thing they're looking
for. And in a web dev scenario, that one thing is "What has this
person/company done before and can they do the same thing for me?"
Okay...TWO things. :-)

> Always start a site, even your own, with a business goal in
> mind.. When you
> have a business goal, ("Attract and capture prospects for xyz type of web
> work") couple it then with your target audience... This is SO important.
> KNOW thy audience... (then get your USER goals.. and so on) Perhaps the
> audience  that has money to spend on websites is less concerned
> with smooth
> icy visuals and more concerned with multimedia that produces results,
> perhaps they are looking for sites that express quickly and
> seemlessly what
> they do

+1