[thelist] Cross Platform Networks for Designers

Gina K. Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Tue Sep 19 11:00:41 CDT 2000

Hi all,

Well, I have ended up adding to my office a G3 333mhz iMac, and a Micron Windows
NT 300mhz workstation. I am a Win98 PC based gal. I will still do all my
designing and day to day things on the Win98 PC. But now I am going to be a
"website-testing machine" with all these different platforms around ;)

I'm thinking about connecting all the computers to a network, and share my Time
Warner RoadRunner cable access, but I don't really know what is best to do. All
the computers have Ethernet cards already, and I can have 2 IP address from
RoadRunner, which one is already used up with my Win98 Machine. The cable modem
is an external.

I really know nothing about networking, especially for our profession. I mean,
is sharing files really that necessary if you are a one person show? What are
the benefits of sharing files between the computers? Or have you just found
sharing an internet connection is fine for what we do?

My main desires I guess would be:

-Checking sites, even before upload would be kinda nice but not absolutely
necessary, to grab platform-specific problems
-I would need to use my Win98 machine's CD-burner to backup files for the iMac
or NT station, or somehow allow the iMac to read the Win98 burnt CD's. For
example, say I didn't have file sharing, but I see a program I want to download
and install on the iMac, and I wanted to burn the program to a CD for
safekeeping to reinstall later if needed.--I'd need the iMac to be able to read
the Windows98 burnt CD. Umm..get me?
-(Blush) to play games between the Win98 and NT workstation with my husband ;)

I guess that's it, since I don't really know what is possible in networking.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice or "gotcha's" to
watch out for, any hardware recommendations, etc.?

Thanks,
Gina