[thelist] Help with Red Hat 6.1 root dir space

root djc at five2one.org
Tue Sep 19 11:53:13 CDT 2000

Hey Nick -

First, lets see what you've got left for space.. Run the command 'df -h'
(without quotes of course :) and let me know what it gives you.. If you
have more than one partition, we're in luck and can make some more space
on your root partition..

otherwise, we'll look at some other options..

.djc.
______________________________

At the risk of displaying what a Linux newbie I truly am, I have a few
questions and would be grateful if anyone has any (easy?) answers.

I am currently unable to install any new packages. I get complaints
about
lack of space in the root directory.

Also, I sometimes get complaints when I try to use man about lack of
space
to format the document.

I think I do have a problem with lack of space in the root directory.
How
can I pinpoint whether something has gone wrong, if something is in the
wrong place if I can jettison something which is hogging space.

If I cannot get rid of anything, I have heard about using links to
create
more space in root. How do I do this?

TIA

nk