[thelist] Do they know what they are doing?

dave gray dascott at wam.umd.edu
Tue Sep 19 16:56:05 CDT 2000

> Reading through some of the posts in this forum and others, I get the
> distinct impression that the main people involved in authorising the work
> that Web designers do are far from competent.

yes.

> I'm aware that many small businesses haven't the faintest idea what the Web
> is about and how it might benefit them. They simply pay somebody to create
> a Web site so as to see what it might do for their business. How common is
> this attitude? Do many of these experimental efforts succeed? Are there any
> really savvy businesses who know how to make efficient use of the Web and
> use Web designer's time effectively and efficiently?

part of the successful web designer's job is to help h[i|e][s|r] clients
make an informed decision as to what is necessary to achieve the client's
desired results.

imho, a web designer shouldn't just decide what the site looks like, they
should have a say in the overall layout of the site and what technology is
used to make the site do what it does.

or of course, they could just make pretty pictures and hand them to the
'web developers'... i get so confused when i try to title myself that i
probably shouldn't say what person with Title X should and shouldn't do,
but I think the successful web consultant has a good grip on most every
facet of the site design and implementation process... YMMV ;-)

> Is the same sort of situation prevalent with in-house design teams?

oh my god, don't get me started. incompetence runs rampant all the way
up the food chain. the only reason i still work for the company that
currently employs me is that it's my first "real" job and it's 2 seconds
away from my house.

 -dave