[thelist] community: troll postings on webboard

Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Wed Sep 20 13:08:34 CDT 2000

> theere's someone posting trolls on my webboard. I took
> some off, but now I'm trying the ignore strategy for a
> week or two. Any hints on what to do if he keeps going?
> Silently take them off ( a lot of work)? Just ignore them?

hi peter

don't just ignore them

if you allow the trolls to keep on getting posted where everybody can see
them, and don't do anything about it, this will be interpreted by others
as a low quality board

i would publicly ask him politely to stop

then i would take away his ability to post, i.e. unsubscribe him (even if
that's a lot of work)

alternatively, you could add his id to a "bad author" list which you can
hardcode into the web page (you do not expect this to be a long list, but
you could also make it a database table or external file with its own
admin page)

posts from anyone on the bad author list will display to their author but
not to anyone else

the author sees his trolls but nobody ever replies to them, because nobody
else ever sees anything from this author

the author will soon tire of posting

rudy
r937.com