[thelist] insecurity complex

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Thu Sep 21 03:14:11 CDT 2000

Mike, you're right that they can't find anything that isn't listed. BUT,
sooner or later there's a chance that a link to it will be created! How many
people have access to the page? Is there a publicly accessible logs page on
the server that might list the page?

If nobody ever links to the page, or links from the page (referrer pages can
show up in other people's server logs), then it's pretty well hidden, but
it's not secure. It's a bit like the eternal debate about program code. If
you want your work to be securely encrypted, use an encryption method that
people have had a chance to bang against and that has stood up to all
attacks. If you use something that's simply obscure, sooner or later someone
will find a way around it.

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com
 Wap-Dev - http://www.wap-dev.net