[thelist] Cookies, SSIs and Perl

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 21 19:06:05 CDT 2000

> From: martin burns <martin at lists.evolt.org>
>
> I'm working on a Perl version of Aardvaark's user-controlled
> stylesheets code:
> http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=253

a noble endeavor...

> The one thing which seems to be tripping me up is setting
> the cookies from within a page (ie without having to go to
> a CGI URL).
>
> Essentially the problem seems to be that in Perl, you
> have to set cookies within the HTTP headers *before*
> the page data commences. However, I'm calling the SSI
> within the page - the 1st line of the shtml file:
> view-source:http://www.easyweb.co.uk/cv/index3.htm

you have to do the same in ASP... before i do anything else, i do
the cookie work, cuz you can't play with cookies after the HTTP
header has been sent...

are you *sure* you aren't doing anything else?  other cookies?
stuff like that?  that tripped me up in ASP once...

> You can see the output at
> http://www.easyweb.co.uk/cv/index3.html
> (I'm parsing .html files as if they were .shtml)

wow... you better get it working... your breadcrumb nav is about
5px tall on my win98/NN4 machine...