[thelist] ASP Database Problem. Any Ideas?

Bailey, Dan dbailey2 at healthaxis.com
Mon Sep 25 12:53:29 CDT 2000

That's it!  Thanks for your help!  :-)  I've been learning ASP in the
trial-by-fire method...  I do have experience with database interactivity
using Cold Fusion, and since I see fewer and fewer job listings asking for
it, I figured I'd develop some ASP skills.  Pretty easy so far, given that I
already know Visual Basic....

Just had a few little problems so far.  :-)

<tip type="Sanity">
Find some sort of physical activity you can do at least once during the
working day.  It will help cut your stress levels way down, and maybe you'll
pick up a marketable skill.  Here at the office, I've developed a hellacious
game of ping-pong.  Marketable?  Hell yeah!  Olympics...Wheaties box...my
own rap album...ads for 2nd Home Mortgages...
</tip>

> SequelFunction = "INSERT INTO Links (LinkURL, LinkName, LinkBlurb,
> DateAdded) VALUES (LU, LN, LB, LDA)"

On top of that, if this is the exact line, then you're not inserting the
variables, but the literal values "LU", "LN", "LB", and "LDA" --and Access
is puking respectibly.

try
> SequelFunction = "INSERT INTO Links (LinkURL, LinkName, LinkBlurb,
> DateAdded) VALUES ("&LU&", "&LN&", "&LB&", "&LDA&")"

and then you have to add tick marks around your character fields, and #
around your date fields (for Access)

> SequelFunction = "INSERT INTO Links (LinkURL, LinkName, LinkBlurb,
> DateAdded) VALUES ('"&LU&"', '"&LN&"', '"&LB&"', #"&LDA&"#)"

how's that?
sgd