[thelist] Win IE5.5 Does NOT handle CSS properly!! was Site Test (Don't use fixed with tables with IE 5.5)

Tony Bounds tbounds at gci.net
Tue Sep 26 14:16:12 CDT 2000

on 9/26/00 5:08 AM, Ron White at rwhite at edverify.com wrote:

> Win IE5.5 absolutely SUCKS on its CSS and dHTML rendering. I had a layered
> page that displayed perfectly in 5.0 but was fugged in 5.5 and the only way
> I figured out what was happening was by accidentally selecting the text on
> the page and discovering a 4 px wide band on the left of the screen that
> turned out to be ALL of the "hidden" layers. M$ screwed the pooch with that
> release... They need to get their sorry butts back to the research lab and
> fix IE...

Unfortunately the "thing" is out there in peoples hands now. Judging from
the response I got on this list and others there are a lot of people using
it. About 75% of the resposes were IE 5.5 users. Which means for at least
the next couple of years we're going to have to code around its limitations.
Hrmmmphhh...
--
Tony