[thelist] more views: pop-up windows, Rich Media ads

Nicole Parrot nicole at parrot.ca
Thu Sep 28 08:36:09 CDT 2000

I run a site that uses media rich ads, although no pop up windows.
The ads can be Java, javascript, Enliven (that's java too), or anything.
The code we have on the pages is some javascript that detects browsers and
either show the media rich ad, or show a standard gif, depending on browser
capability.
At 5 million ad views per month, it has not stopped us, and from what I'm
told, the number of media rich ads we're showing is growing quite fast
compared to regular types of ads. (I'm not in charge of selling ad space)
There's definitely a demand from advertisers to have media rich ads. Users
don't seem to notice them more than any other type of ads though.

I would however stay away from popup windows. They're annoying, and more
savvy people run little tools that close popup windows on sight!

Take a look at Enliven.com . It's an interesting read. ;-)

BTW, I'm new here, just signed up yesterday. I had planned to lurk for a
while, but decided to answer this question, since I do deal with rich media

Nicole
http://www.theforce.net
(and plenty of others)