[thelist] css question: no spaces after a line....

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 13:56:21 CDT 2000

On 2 Oct 00, at 17:02, martin burns wrote:

> More worryingly, you've then lost the structure of the page in question.
> Remember that <hn> is *structural* markup - it's a vital part of being
> accessible to people with disabilities
>
> Actually, I don't view broken UAs mis-displaying styles to the tune
> of a few pixels' space after a heading tag as being particularly significant.
>
> If you *really* want that level of control, then either design for a homogenous
> platform (most intranets qualify), or work on print. The more important factors
> are that it looks consistent within itself on a given platform (and doesn't
> break branding across platforms) and that the structure is there.

i have to completely agree with Martin on this one... using an <h#>
tells the user-agent (and search engines, etc.) how the data is
*structured*... if you are going to use structural mark-up, you might
as well go full-bore and be prepared for the quirks...

ultimately, <div> and <span> are cop-outs... using them means
either someone didn't take the time to look up an appropriate
structural tag (to which you can apply styles) or someone is just
sytling the content only, which then makes you wonder why it
needs to look different, but not be different...

one of these days i'm gonna open up my own <div/span> rant...

anyway, didja try the "margin-bottom" property i suggested the
other day?  if so, any success?