[thelist] css question: no spaces after a line....

Erika Meyer meyer at up.edu
Mon Oct 2 16:52:14 CDT 2000

>The client does not want space beneath headings. I'd like to
> accommodate that desire. It does look better, after all. The CSS spec's say
> it should work, using the margin-bottom property.

The CSS specs say a lot of things should work... in an ideal world.

I tend to vote for "padding" instead of "margin" but who cares, as it
will NEVER NEVER NEVER work in Navigator 4x.  NN will ALWAYS put extra
space under an "H" tag because it believes that "H" tags should have
space beneath them. NN believes that extra space is inherent in the
display of the H tag. If you specify padding, you will only get EXTRA
space underneath.

If display is most important, use a STRONG tag and declare a class for
it that makes it look like a header.

If structure is most important, use a header and explain to the client
that Navigator is naughty.  (and those other browsers you mentioned.)

As an aside, I am no SGML guru, but I see nothing wrong with <div>.  In
fact I find <div> a very useful tag for breaking up content.  SPAN maybe
somewhat, but who knows since it doesn't work right in Naughty
Navigator.  (I mean, it works even less right than <div>)

DIV is sort of like drawing little boxes around things, which is not
only visually helpful, it can also be conceptually helpful.  Like here's
this <div> over here, and then you've got the other <div> over there...
and unless you're using XML and can make your own names for every tag
and/or category, I say there is nothing wrong with div-ing up content.

Erika