[thelist] cryptic question

Raul Beltran espiritudelvino at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 21:26:31 CDT 2000

What are you using to write this application? ASP? JSP? PHP?

the crypt() function (at least in PHP) accepts 2 arguments the value to be
encrypted and the 'salt', both as strings.

To make your encrypted number more difficult to guess you only need to
choose a 'salt' value that nobody knows, like this (price=100):

$encryptedString = crypt("100", "this will never be guessed");

this way, to guess the number you must know what the 'salt' is, making
almost impossible to break it with brute force.

Do a 'man crypt', this unix command should accept a 'salt' too...