[thelist] rating techies ability

John Corry webshot at neoncowboy.com
Tue Oct 3 21:08:57 CDT 2000

I've personally known, worked with and been disappointed by really
potentially brilliant people who have slashdot as their homepage (in
Netscape on Linux, of course), can code SQL in their sleep, hack anything,
fix whatever is broken about a server/site...

Sometimes these people have qualities that make them acceptable as working
relations, other times they are missing key ingredients: positive attitude,
reliability, respect, bathing and acceptable language among them.

I have also known tremendously incompetent idiots who purport to be the
genius you're after, are familiar with all of these resources...but can't
really do anything when the rubber meets the road.

That's a cute idea, but ultimately I think I'm safer evaluating potential
workmates by their demonstrated command of particular technologies, and
their 'presence' in general. Let us know how your new evaluation system
works out...me personally, I fail miserably (my only redeeming qualities
being slight familiarity with Telnet, SQL and a whole big collection of
O'reilly books.

have fun,
John