[thelist] Script to fix Netscape CSS-P bug?

martin burns martin at lists.evolt.org
Wed Oct 4 02:10:19 CDT 2000

At 08:00 03/10/00, Ben Henick wrote:
>When the user resizes their window, Netscape naturally trashes the
>whole thing.  So I set the page to refresh for Netscape users.
>
>However, I know there's a script to work around this problem...
>
>Does anybody know where I can find an example of this script?

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">
<!--
function WM_netscapeCssFix() {
   // This part was inspired by Matthew_Baird at wayfarer.com
   // It gets around another unfortunate bug whereby Netscape
   // fires a resize event when the scrollbars pop up. This
   // checks to make sure that the window's available size
   // has actually changed.
   if (document.WM.WM_netscapeCssFix.initWindowWidth != window.innerWidth
|| document.WM.WM_netscapeCssFix.initWindowHeight != window.innerHeight) {
     document.location = document.location;
   }
}

function WM_netscapeCssFixCheckIn() {
   // This function checks to make sure the version of Netscape
   // in use contains the bug; if so, it records the window's
   // width and height and sets all resize events to be handled
   // by the WM_netscapeCssFix() function.
   if ((navigator.appName == 'Netscape')
&&  (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) == 4)) {
     if (typeof document.WM == 'undefined'){
       document.WM = new Object;
     }
     if (typeof document.WM.WM_scaleFont == 'undefined') {
       document.WM.WM_netscapeCssFix = new Object;
       document.WM.WM_netscapeCssFix.initWindowWidth = window.innerWidth;
       document.WM.WM_netscapeCssFix.initWindowHeight = window.innerHeight;
     }
     window.onresize = WM_netscapeCssFix;
   }
}

WM_netscapeCssFixCheckIn()
//-->
</SCRIPT>

Martin Burns, Content Management Consultant
tel: +44 (0)778 068 6418
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=9&uid=32
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/