[thelist] Linux/PHP/MySQL advantages over WinNT/ASP/MSSQL?

Lauri Väin optima at hot.ee
Wed Oct 4 13:59:05 CDT 2000

Hello everybody,
I re-read the posts I sent earlier and I got the impression that "this guy
really hates MS products". The fact is that I don't, I really like most of the
products of Microsoft (Office is great and Windows is a great OS for a desktop
computer).
Quoting aardvark: "better is irrelevent... more appropriate is relevent... ".
Windows just wasn't designed to run for 'always' and to be a network computer,
with the exception of WinNT which is really trying and doing OK, but could be
better. Still, Win and other MS products are pretty good

Aardvark wrote:
> ASP is a server side
> technology (which can run on linux, too); linux is an OS... also

Really? Several sources have told that ASP can be only run on Microsoft
products.

Jeff wrote:
> <jest>yeah, i guess you're right.  you are a sucker.</jest>

Thank you oh great master *bows* :-)

> one thing about thelist that you'll learn - we don't have holy wars or flame
> fests.  we're all adults here and often have passionate discussions, but
> they're all respectful and handled with decency.

You know, you're right. I've been a member of this list since the 7th of May and
I have seen very few hostile responses. Keep it up dudes and dudettes!

> if that's the case, perhaps your personal preferences shouldn't be
> the issue... if that's the tool-set they want, then give it to them...

By reading your posts, I think that I'll go with the standard. Now, can anybody
name the URL's of good tutorials on ASP. For now, I need to learn the basic
stuff, like displaying form data, mailing it, adding it to a database and simple
mathematical functions.

Yours,
Lauri