[thelist] Reloading page even if "Back" is clicked...

Jeff jeff at lists.evolt.org
Wed Oct 4 17:40:08 CDT 2000

dan,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Dan Slater <DSlater at buxtonco.com>
:
: This is probably way beneath most of you, but I
: can't find the answer anywhere.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is no beneath, there is only _is_.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I've noticed on Microsoft's KB site that when you
: click back after a search, the form elements revert
: to the defaults.  Somehow the page is being reloaded
: and I don't know how to do it for my sites.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

first off, let me say what an evil, evil, evil thing this is.  i go to a
site, enter some complicated search combination, perform the search, and
don't get the results i expect.  i click the back button expecting the form
to be in the condition i left it in just before clicking the search button
(the default behavior, btw) so that all i have to change is one or two
things and find it completely wiped clean.  pardon me, but that *really*
pisses me off.  that reduces the usability of the search functionality to
almost zero for me.

now that i've spoke my piece about this i'll go ahead and explain how you
would go about doing it.  it's most likely set up so that when the page
loads there is a function that cycles through all the form elements and sets
their values to empty strings, checkboxes to unchecked, radio buttons to
unchecked, and dropdowns to nothing selected.

good luck,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden
game://web.development