[thelist] Linux/PHP/MySQL advantages over WinNT/ASP/MSSQL?

Lauri Väin optima at hot.ee
Thu Oct 5 13:26:06 CDT 2000

Everybody,
> it was designed for just that, and with a good admin, will do just
> that... that isn't opinion, that's experience... i've seen NT handle
> things it never should have... and i've seen it die for no reason... it
> all comes down to admin skills...

Oh, actually I meant the "not designed to work forever" about win 9x.
And here is something that was sent to me from the hwg-languages list:
<SNIP>
As far as speed goes, the Windows NT platform is a process-heavy
environment making it inherently bad for serving dynamic data. NT (and
Windows 9x) were never designed for continuous forking of processes. Unix
(and Linux), on the other hand, were designed to be multiprocess
environments and the forking overhead is streamlined to a minimum.
</SNIP>

<SNIP2>
NT or Windows platforms. I mean, come on, a *feature* of Windows 2000 is
that it includes the ability to schedule your weekly reboots to restabilize
your system. Do you really want to contend with a product from a vendor
that openly admits it can't do any more to make the product more stable?
</SNIP2>

Not being argumentative, just a FYI :-)

Yours,
Lauri