[thelist] Re: Macs and MS FTP...

Eric Benvenue-Jennings eric at rapid13.org
Thu Oct 5 14:04:12 CDT 2000

On 10/5/00 at 12:00 PM, Mike King [mailto:mike.king at redroom.co.uk] wrote:

> There's a site going live on Sat, that the client needs to ftp to from a
> mac.
> I thought no problem. The ftp account is set-up (I've been uploading etc
> through it for ages.) but whenever he connects using a mac it times out
> getting folder info... He's tried CuteFTP, Dreamweaver, GoLive and others,
> but still nothing!
> The site is on IIS, NT4 sp6, MSFTP.
> Tried searching for problems with macs and MSFTP, but to no avail...
> Does anyone, know of any fixes or anything?

I'm having the same problem. One of my clients' ISP just changed to an NT 4 Server and I can't get a reliable connection using any of the available Mac ftp programs. I've tried on three different computers - one under OS 8.6, one under OS 9, two under OS 9.0.4.

I can connect but the ftp programs (Anarchie, Interarchy, Fetch, Netfinder, Trasnmit) never seem to realize that the directory listing is complete so they just hang out with a spinning cursor. The trasnscript logs all show normal connects and nothing wierd. The darndest thing is that I had two other people with Macs try to connect to the problem server and they claim they haven't had the same problem. (I don't know the configurations of the Macs they used.)

I have a work-around but it's a pain. For directory listings I just type CMD-Period and continue working. Easy enough. But file transfers are more problematic. I can download a file but since the transfer never appears to complete, when I type CMD-Period the file is deleted from the download folder. The work-around is that I leave the ftp prgram spinning along, locate the file in the finder, duplicate it, return to ftp and do the CMD-period. The file being downloaded is deleted but my copy is still there intact.

The only left in my troubleshooting is to look for an extension conflict.

I'd love to hear other ideas and suggestions...