[thelist] [ot] what is Color Temperature ?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 6 12:08:50 CDT 2000

color temperature helps dictate what colors you may see given a
particular light source... for instance, in an ideal black-body
situation (like the sun, if it weren't so yellow), white would look
white... but the color temperature of the lights in your office make
light look greenish-blue... at home, that white may appear yellow
under your reading lamp...

every light source has a variation on what color 'white' light it puts
out, based on its black-body spectrum... that's what color
temperature refers to...

this is a bit simplified, but hope it helps...

as for your headaches, there are many ways to address that, some
of which might even work:

- kick up the refresh rate on your monitor to to 80hz or so...
- turn down the brightness or contrast...
- turn on some lights in your office so the ambient light is as bright
as the monitor...
- make sure you monitor is focused properly...
- avoid heavily contrasting colors for system colors... for instance,
it's more eyestrain to read red on blue, than white on grey...
- you could futz with the color temperature, but it may affect the
way you perceive colors...

now, if your monitor is color-calibrated, you may need to re-
calibrate after doing some of these... but you should be calibrated
to a comfortable work environment anyway...