[thelist] color blindness (is: design tip)

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Fri Oct 6 15:56:24 CDT 2000

At 9:27 PM 10/4/0, Ron Jourard wrote:
> I'm redesigning and thinking of using a nav bar with different
> shades of green.

Tip: For *any* color design work, it can help to desaturate the image to
see if it's still useful.

This comes up in the print world too... if the design can't make it on
luminance contrast alone, without chroma contrast, then it may just plain
feel funny, even to people who have superb color discrimination.

If you've got a screen interface design, then try bringing a quick screen
capture into Fireworks or other imaging tool and running a desaturation
filter on it... this would let you judge contrasts without being distracted
by hue.

A design that works better for all can often work better for the majority, too.

jd