[thelist] DB Structure - Custom Gift Baskets

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Fri Oct 6 17:23:17 CDT 2000

> Option Two....
>
> Create a new field in _ShoppingCartItem_ and stuff that with XML
describing
> the custom basket.
>
> _ShoppingCartItem_
> ID                Int
> ShoppingCartID    Int
> ItemID            Int
> CustomBasketData  Text
> Price             Int
> DateCreated       DateTime
>
> The XML will hold all the items selected e.g. ItemID, Price, Qty, and
other
> info might want later. This basically moves your "one to many"
relationship
> between two tables to internal to the _ShoppingCartItem_ table itself.
>
> We use XML embedded into our SQL Database to work with dynamic data about
> ordered items. I think it works really well for us.

SMACK! I think we actually discussed this before, didn't we Anthony?

Anyway, we had a debate about this before and I can't find it in the
archives. Any reason not to do this? I don't like how CustomBasketData would
be empty unless it was a custom basket item, but shit happens, eh?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com