[thelist] Macromedia vs. Adobe

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 7 12:44:09 CDT 2000

> From: Erika Meyer <erika at seastorm.com>
>
> Was it always you, John?

there was another Macromedia guy on the MJ list as well, and
maybe even a third, but he's been off my radar forever now... musta
been 2 or more years ago...

> In any case, this always made me feel that someone at Macromedia
> cares about what web designers think/feel/need/want.  I've never seen
> an Adobe rep jump in to these discussions anywhere-- not that I've
> done any thorough research.

i agree... but FWIW, i do know that Adobe reps hang out on the
Lyris Photoshop list... but that's easier to define as part of their job
duties than signing up to something called 'monkeyjunkies' or
'evolt'...

> I was just getting clip art for my daughter's Halloween invitations
> at arttoday.com.  She wanted a couple of .eps files: a cat & a
> ballerina with a pumpkin head.  Usually I open these .eps files in
> Freehand.  But this time when I tried to open them in Freehand, I got
> leetle teeny "0's" tiled everywhere on them.

sounds like a PostScript fill, or otherwise overly-complex or
undefined fill... try printing one and see what you get... PostScript
fills don't render on-screen sometimes (depending on a lot of
factors), so it just uses a symbol that it tiles...

you could also remove the fill (use the object inspector to define a
regular or other kind of fill, or the color inspector to define no fill as
a quicker way)...

> & what do you do with .wmf?

as opposed to wtf?  seriously, it stands for Windows Meta-File...
it's a vector format used by MS Office products... AI and FH can
export to .wmf... they should also be able to import them... but if
you have *no* illustration packages (or similar, like PageMaker,
Corel apps, etc.), then .wmf is a great way to go since you may
have MS Works, or MS Office apps, and they can display it and
print it... manipulating it isn't quite so easy...