[thelist] CGI Error

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Oct 9 10:40:50 CDT 2000

Evoltaires,

	The web host for a site that I have developed uses a web interface
for email. I found that this interface consistently produces a 10053 error
(as returned by my company's proxy server), stating "Software caused
connection to abort", with some emails that I try to send. After much
testing, I discovered that the error seems to only and always occur when I
include a URL in the body of my email that has a querystring with a
name/value pair of "page=<some value>", where <some value> is obviously the
name of a page. If I remove this querystring, or change the "page" portion,
the email will submit as expected.
	My suspicion: the email software's CGI script relies on a variable
called "page" to work its wonders, and that it is not properly escaping the
content of my email; thus when my querystring whizzes past, it grabs it as
its own variable and can't make any sense out of it. And so it chokes.
	Can anyone shed any wisdom on this problem? Unfortunatley, I don't
know the scripting language used by the CGI. Thanks.

James Aylard