[thelist] isp dns caches not updating

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Mon Oct 9 12:54:53 CDT 2000

Well Liz, I checked out what btinternet.com's and clara.net DNS servers
where saying about your site, and they were all pointing to the
right(new) place, so its not so much of a DNS issue.

John mentioned that it may be a proxy server issue, and he's probably
right.. Depending on how the proxy is set up, they may rarely update
their DNS info(some have helper programs for this, but again, depends
how its set up).. If the proxy thinks that your domain is at its former
IP address, anyone using those proxys will get directed that way. Your
best bet would be a redirect on that old page with javascript or a
meta-tag - the ideal solution would be a 401 code from the webserver
that tells bots, proxys, etc that its been moved permanently.

Shout if you have any more questions..

.djc.