[thelist] mailing lists and newsletters software: arguments to not DIY

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Mon Oct 9 13:43:36 CDT 2000

Hi,
a VERY tight deadline project:
they need the ability to easily administer (set up, create, give
properties) lots of mailing lists and newsletters.
my boss seems to want to roll his own (in spectra/coldfusion). Seems to me
building a robust mailing list engine is no piece of cake, and we'd be
better of getting some existing software.

The problem with the existing software is I have not found any that have a
nice interface to them.
So 2 questions:
1. is it easy to build an interface to mailing list software?
2. How can I stop my chef from making the mistake (or is it not a
mistake???) to build his own mailing list software for what will be some
heavy mailing lists and on a very short deadline (money is not a big problem)
Please help me with some arguments for this, or tell me I was wrong :)

Thanks so much!
Peter