[thelist] Macromedia vs. Adobe

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Oct 10 16:15:48 CDT 2000

At 5:23 PM 10/6/0, martin burns wrote:
> From memory (and you're welcome to post the refuting dates - it's
> 1.22am here and I've been drinking), ImageReady was ahead of
> Fireworks - I was beta tester on both.

It must have been the late hour.... ;-)

March 10, 1998
"Macromedia Introduces Fireworks"
http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/1998/fireworks.html

June 2, 1998
"Macromedia Ships Fireworks"
http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/1998/fw_ship_final.html

... oh, shucks, Adobe only archives for a year... hmm... hey, a HotBot
turns up:

"Adobe ImageReady beta 04/22/98"
http://www.m2w.net/reviews/imageready01.html

ah, got it:
April 13, 1998
"Adobe ImageReady Makes It Easy to yadda yadda yadda..."
http://www.photo-on-pc.com/press-release/041398b.html

July 14, 1998
"Adobe ImageReady 1.0 Now Shipping"
http://www.photo-on-pc.com/press-release/071498c.html

Doug Olsen and the group were certainly working on ImageReady 1.0 at the
same time that Fireworks was under development... Fireworks was just a
little further along. Significantly, the slicing, previewing and
compression features were added in ImageReady 2.0, and these were
definitely based on the models introduced by Fireworks 1.0.

(Doug Olsen used to post on the WebMonkey list during this time. He and his
group have since left Adobe, and after a year on their own they've joined
Macromedia, working on extensions to the Dreamweaver platform.)

At 9:17 PM 10/6/0, Erika Meyer wrote:
>You know, I can't remember if it was always John, but I do remember
>there was always a Macromedia person on Monkeyjunkies, and now here,
>someone who would jump in and answer questions about Macromedia
>products when someone posted them to the list.
>
>Was it always you, John?
>
>In any case, this always made me feel that someone at Macromedia
>cares about what web designers think/feel/need/want.  I've never seen
>an Adobe rep jump in to these discussions anywhere-- not that I've
>done any thorough research.
>
>Little things like can mean a lot.

Thanks, I'm glad that it may be useful... yes, I've been on MonkeyJunkies
for about three years, and I know that Sho Kuwamoto (one of the main
Dreamweaver architects) often pops up on these lists. David Mendels also
lurks on various lists... he was an exec VP for product marketing, but now
he's more on the business development side, but you'll still see him post
now and then.

(One of my other tasks is to forward interesting threads to people inside
Macromedia... comments about the online store, or website, or documentation
and training, or other customer concerns that won't fit in any product
wishlist do often have a half-life beyond what we see on the lists ;-) .
Besides explicit thread forwards I also report weekly to a group of execs
on overall customer needs and perceptions for that week. Any fodder for
lasting change is always appreciated, thanks.... ;-)

Adobe has recently hired some "Web Evangelists", so you may see some reps
in various places again, although their content may be different.

(I'm not sure of the import issue, but for "What does 'o' mean on art in
FreeHand?" it's usually the optional overprinting symbol, so you can
visually tell which inks overprint which. This can be toggled in the Redraw
Preferences. Such overprinting hints have been a wishlist item in
Illustrator for some years now. I'm not sure whether I'm visualizing the
right thing there, though...?)

jd