[thelist] Virus problem

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Oct 12 13:26:25 CDT 2000

Manuel Delgado wrote:

> Hi!
> I have some problems with a virus. These are the symptoms:
> - When I start my computer, the internet connection is automatically
> activated.
> - Disease-filled mails are sent to the people on my mailing list.
> - Free space in my hard disk is used by unknown -and undetectable (for me)-
> dark forces. I don´t know if this last symptom is
>    related with the other two, but both started about the same time.

Get to McAfee.com/Norton.com/TrendMicro.com and get some anti-virus software!!

Three other things: Check your startup folder and remove any strange programs.

Use RegEdit and remove any strange programs from the following RegKeys:

	HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Micorsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micorsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micorsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

	HKEY_USERS\<blah blah blah>\SOFTWARE\Micorsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Search your hard drive for *.vbs files and delete them.

Oh - and remove Outlook from your machine. Use Netscape or Eudora or anthing else.
;-)

--
Anthony Baratta
President