[thelist] Portablity between Linux & NT - help!

Ben Henick persist1_pdx at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 18:22:28 CDT 2000

I have been (slowly) working on the design of a site for a syndicated
cartoonist.  Originally this site was going to be hosted on Linux, but
random events have forced us to change providers (and thus platforms).

Most of the stress has to do with two things:  scheduling events so
that we can upload strips well in advance while keeping the scripts out
of public spaces until they're supposed to be available, and keeping
dependence on active scripting to a minimum.

On *X I know how this is done... but not on NT.  The new hosting
provider has said that Perl (which they support) can be written for
that platform in such a way that it can be scheduled without involving
the console, though both I and the backend developer are at a complete
loss as to how this is accomplished (as neither of us has spent much
time on the platform).

If anybody has books to recommend as regards writing Perl for NT, or
titles to recommend that address MSSQL, I'd sure be grateful for the advice.

=====
Ben Henick              |  "In the long run, men hit only
Web Author At-Large     |  what they aim at.  Therefore,
www.io.com/persist1/    |  though they should fail
persist1 at io.com         |  immediately, they had better aim
persist1_pdx at yahoo.com  |  high."  --Henry David Thoreau