[thelist] CGI - file won't run on server after opened in editor. ? .

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Mon Oct 16 17:28:25 CDT 2000

At 12:04 AM 10/17/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>At 17:16 16/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>Yeah. I know it's weird but, I have this file commerce.install.db that
>>has an error /msg I'd like in french. I've opened perl scripts with
>>homesite before, and never had any problems but THIS file..... I cannot
>>edit at all without bringing the script to a halt. I have heard about
>>windows-based editors adding a character at the end of a file or
>>something ( vaguely ) and wonder if just using a different editor would
>>do the trick. Clue me in, buds.
>>                                         Stef, de Montreal
>

>some editors add a '\r\n' instead of a '\n', or somehing like that.
>the only workarounds i know from the time when i faced these problems were
>to use Vi or Notepad, or to do a PERL - or Php or whatever -
>search&&replace on '\r\n'.

A client of mine had the exact same problem.  He opened up Perl scripts I
supplied to him in Homesite on his Windoze PC, and when he saved them back
they wouldn't work.  Turned out to be exactly what is described above..

Mind the word-wrap as well, if there were any long lines (common in
programming source) that were wrapped when the file was loaded, they don't
get un-wrapped when you save the document.  Check for that as well..

--- -- -
Seb Barre - sebastien at oven.com
OVEN Digital Toronto
Work: 416-595-9750 x 222